Friday, August 7, 2009

Summer Slow Down


The State Fair is a wonderful event that my family and I look forward to each year. It signals the end of summer and the excitement of the new school year. I typically don't have a lot of business this time of year. After years in the business I certainly have come to recognize the Indianapolis Metro housing cycles. Obviously 2008 and 2009 have been 'recession' years which have to be analysed mostly on their own merit. However, year-in-year-out I have found that the cycle is similar.

Starting usually in Mid-February (the spring warm up time frame) the big surge begins and it usually ends around late May to early June. The dog days (slower sales) of summer kick-in from June through Mid September. Then something weird happens. In Mid-September there is usually a bit of a surge through October. December and January are great months for anything but real estate!

So, my quick advice for when to place your home for sale is to begin staging your home after the holidays and be ready for the "For Sale" sign come Valentines Day. This year things did not kick off until around April. But we have just went through a crazy time that cannot be compared to. Who knows, maybe the housing recession is over?! My crystal ball said that we have hit the bottom of a very long pool. Meaning it may be 2011 until values pick up locally. But I don't think they will fall much more either!

No comments:

Post a Comment